Over 100 First Nations reserves still don’t have clean drinking water. Indigenous women, girls and Two Spirit people are being murdered at rates drastically higher than the settler population. The Trans Mountain pipeline is being pushed through Indigenous land without meaningful consent. The people of Grassy Narrows have not been compensated for the devastation of mercury poisonings. Thousands of fracking operations in BC are violating treaty rights, contaminating drinking water and causing earthquakes, often without even alerting the First Nations whose lands are being fracked. 64% of kids on reserve in Manitoba are living in poverty.
Ongoing colonial oppression against Indigenous peoples in this country is rampant.
And even though Justin Trudeau keeps promising reconciliation, he just took Indigenous kids to court.
There’s no other party with a plan to take on all of the above injustices. And in Parliament, a Green MP will speak the truth to power, and make the other parties answer to them.
- Implement every call of the Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women, Girls and Two Spirit report, the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, and the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
- Honour Indigenous peoples inherent rights of self-government and self-determination, and give First Nations, Métis, and Inuit leaders an equal seat on the Council of Canadian Governments to set national policy priorities
- Ensure that every First Nations, Métis and Inuit child has access to quality educational opportunities based on the expressed cultural, political and social priorities of the First Nations, Métis and Inuit governments, following meaningful consultation
- Support the development of Indigenous education curricula that are language and culture specific, and fund language revitalization
- Educate non-Indigenous Canadians on the histories, customs, traditions and cultures of the First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples of Turtle Island
- End drinking water and boil water advisories by investing and upgrading critical infrastructure to ensure safe water access in every community
- Support health-care services that incorporate traditional practices and recognize the role of extended families and elders
With your support, Green MPs can put these priorities on the federal agenda -- and make the other parties answer to them.
Add your name to support our plan to work to end colonial oppression of Indigenous peoples in Canada, before the election in 2 weeks.