This document has been replaced by the Safe Space Policy.
This Code of Conduct sets out guiding principles and specific practices that establish the framework for ethical conduct expected of all members of the Green Party of Canada (GPC). It is founded on a deep respect for the democratic process and recognition of the enduring need for respectful political discussion and debate in Canada.
This code requires a commitment by all GPC Members :
- Global Green values: To live and respect the Global Green values of Ecological Wisdom, Social Justice, Participatory Democracy, Non-violence, Sustainability and Respect for Diversity.
- Our GPC ethical values: As members of our party to abide by the values of honesty, respect, commitment, lawfulness and responsibility.
- Ethical Conduct: To reflect the highest ethical standards in conduct and to the best of one’s ability, maintain and strengthen the trust and confidence of the public in the integrity of the Green Party of Canada, and to the best of one’s ability, uphold the values, constitution, bylaws, policies, and conflict of interest guidelines of the GPC.
- Accountability: To be willing to be held accountable to the ethical and behavioural expectations within this code, and to understand that adherence to this code represents a condition of membership for GPC members and serious violations or non-compliance regarding this code could result in administrative or disciplinary measures up to and including termination of membership.
- Certification: To have read, understand and abide by the ethical and legal obligations of this Code of Conduct
As a member of the Green Party of Canada, I agree to the following ethical behavioural obligations and expectations.
In relation to myself:
- I shall act with integrity and professionalism and submit myself to the higher level of scrutiny appropriate as a member of the GPC;
- I shall not commit acts such as slander or mischief that could result in civil or criminal action against myself or the GPC;
- I shall not intentionally misrepresent the stated purposes, values, or policies of the GPC;
In relation to each other:
- I will respect the dignity of all persons.
- I shall not intentionally cause harm to any person by engaging in physical, mental, or social abuse or harassment;
- I shall not use insulting, harassing, or otherwise offensive language or behavior;
- I shall not make false, frivolous or vexatious complaints regarding others.
- I resolve to settle disagreements through reconciliation and restoration.
- I will not condone wrongdoing and shall responsibly report any breaches of this Code to the appropriate body within the GPC in a prompt and diligent manner. Complaints concerning a breach of this Code may be directed to the GPC Federal Council or the GPC ethics committee.
In relation to the party:
- I shall conduct myself in a manner which will tend to maintain and strengthen the public’s trust and confidence in the integrity of the GPC and never undertake an action which would bring the GPC, or its members, into disrepute;
- I will participate in the development of the party and governance of the country to the best of my ability and time available;
- I shall cooperate with the authorized structures and procedures of the party and respond in a timely manner when contacted by officers of the GPC;
- I agree to abide by the disciplinary procedures outlined in the Bylaws of the Ombuds and Appeals Committee and shall comply with any and all sanctions imposed by this Committee;
- I understand that any breach of this code may result in withdrawal of my endorsement or appointment by the party or expulsion from the party.
LAWFULNESS AND RESPONSIBILITY
In relation to our voters, donors, suppliers and contractors, other political parties and all Canadians:
- I will treat all stakeholders in a manner that is lawful and fair and avoids conflict of interest;
- I will contribute to the sustainability of our political movement through respectful and professional communication;
- I will respect that all people have fundamental rights and should be given adequate opportunity to express their political opinions;
- I will respect that diverse ideas and opinions are essential to ensuring the growth of progressive politics in Canada;
- I shall conduct myself in a professional manner during political debate, respect legitimate democratic interests of all, and focus upon criticizing policies rather than persons;
- I shall refrain from holding a membership in any other federal political party while I am a member of the GPC;
- I shall work towards a new politics of courtesy, consensus, cooperation and collaboration with others in areas where we share common values and beliefs;
- If I am uncertain about any application of this code, I will seek advice and counsel from other GPC members, my EDA, my regional representative, the federal Council, the GPC ombudsman or the ethics committee of the GPC as appropriate.
Jan 15, 2012
Developed by Ethics Committee to replace Code adopted in 2008
Apr 26, 2012
Approved by Ethics Committee for presentation to Federal Council
Aug 9, 2012
Amended by Ethics Committee for presentation to Federal Council