Young Greens of Canada Council
The purpose of the Young Greens of Canada (YGC) is to:
- support the Green Party in their efforts to elect candidates to the House of Commons;
- ensure a youth voice is part of debating and forming legislation in Canada’s Parliament;
- ensure a youth voice is part of developing the policy, positions, and platforms of the Party;
- facilitate the involvement of young Canadians and encourage youth-friendly structures and atmosphere within the YGC and the Party more broadly; and
- ensure the Principles of the Global Greens Charter that reference young people are respected and prioritized.
As the governance body of the YGC, Young Greens Council provides leadership and representation for the Young Greens membership. In this role, they are responsible for ensuring that the above aims are being met with the support of staff, and for providing the strategic direction needed to achieve them. This means making decisions on strategic goals and advising on the budget, advocating for youth both within the Party and out, and spearheading a diverse array of projects aimed at growing the Young Greens movement and encouraging youth engagement in politics.
The deadline for nominations is February 23, 2019 at 11:59pm PST.
The deadline to sign up new members in order for them to be able to vote is March 8, 2019.
Voting will begin on March 8 and will be electronic; a paper ballot is available.
Voting will end on April 8 at 11:59pm PST.
The results of the election will be announced on this site by April 29, 2019.
Positions up for election
Co-Chair (only non-cis male identified eligible)*
New Brunswick Representative
Newfoundland and Labrador Representative
Saskatchewan Representative (one year term)**
*YGC Council has two Co-Chair positions, and in the interest of supporting gender parity and diversity, it is required that at least one of the two positions is not held by a self-identifying cisgender man. As a result, the current open position must be filled by an individual who does not self-identify as such.
**This position has become vacant and the YGC Council has called a byelection to fill the position for the remainder of the term (one year, ending Spring 2020).
The deadline for nominations is February 23 at 11:59pm PST. The number of nominators required to apply for a YGC Council position varies depending on position. The requirements for 2019 are:
- Ten nominators (representing at least two provinces and/or territories): Co-Chair
- Five nominators: Alberta, Quebec
- Three nominators: New Brunswick
- Two nominators: Manitoba, Newfoundland and Labrador, Saskatchewan, the Territories
email@example.com or 1-866-868-3447