Canada’s first-past-the-post electoral system must go. It represents neither our voices nor our values. It tips the scales for the establishment parties, who win 100 percent of the power with less than 40 percent of the vote. It encourages politicians to play divisive party games to whip votes, curry favour and get re-elected, usually with the support of fewer than half the voters in their ridings.
We want to reclaim our democracy. We need an electoral system that makes our Parliament reflect our priorities. Our vote should represent our top priorities, our values and a vision for the future represented on the national stage.
We demand proportional representation because Canadians want a fair electoral system that:
- Places equal value on every vote
- Encourages cross-party collaboration and unity
- Allows us to adopt stable, long-term policies
- Encourages greater participation and voter turnout
- Increases Canadian political literacy