Canada is endowed with abundant fresh water resources. We have seven per cent of the world's renewable fresh water, about a quarter of the world’s wetlands and 20 percent of the world’s safe water supply.
It’s our duty to defend and conserve our fresh water so that future generations inherit clean, safe water supplies. It’s time for a new water legacy based on smart stewardship and balanced preservation.
Access to fresh water is already a major and growing challenge. Many countries face worsening water shortages, contamination and drought. Greens believe it’s Canada’s job to preserve and protect our precious water from industrial pollution, other sources of contamination and wasteful consumption.
Greens envision Canada as the world’s water custodians. Green MPs will work to:
- Support the current Federal Water Policy that emphatically opposes large-scale exports of our fresh water.
- Protect the fundamental right to clean fresh water for all.
- Amend the Food and Drug Act to include water ensuring that the federal government has a legally enforceable tool to regulate and protect water.
- Ensure secure, safe water supplies, especially for Indigenous communities who have historically experienced near-permanent boil water advisories.
- Deliver the long promised actions to treat and avoid mercury poisonings in Grassy Narrows.
- Improve municipal wastewater treatment systems and stop untreated waste dumping.
- Conduct an inventory of all polluted groundwater and water bodies. Develop and implement strategies for cleaning them.
- Enhance the capacity of federal departments and agencies to protect and restore the health of aquatic ecosystems.