- Press Secretary
The Green Party of Canada is looking for a talented and highly motivated person to be our Press Secretary, working from party headquarters in downtown Ottawa. If you’re concerned about the state of Canadian democracy, about the climate crisis and the transition to a just and sustainable economy; if you love meeting people and working for a cause that fuels your passion; if you’re a media fanatic with a track record of getting coverage on some of the most pressing public interest issues of our time – we want to meet you.
Working closely with Green Party Leader Elizabeth May and our Communications Director, the Press Secretary is a vital member of our communications team. Your challenge is to help build a strong presence for the Green Party in major English and French print, broadcast and online media. This is an outstanding opportunity to make use of your exceptional interpersonal skills and your ability to build working relationships with key media figures and outlets across Canada – all in the service of the dynamic, visionary Green Party of Canada!
Major responsibilities of this full-time position include:
· Producing and distributing English and French press releases and media advisories.
· Identifying opportunities for media outreach.
· Staying abreast of current legislative and other issues on which the Leader, Deputy Leaders or Shadow Cabinet members may be questioned or wish to comment.
· Meeting and developing working relationships with reporters and journalists.
· Coordinating responses to media requests for comments and interviews.
· Organizing press conferences.
· Monitoring media coverage.
· Supporting the Leader, Deputy Leaders and Shadow Cabinet with media activity and other communications.
Candidates for the position of Press Secretary:
· Must be committed to the Green Party’s values and principles.
· Must be outgoing, cheerful, confident and positive.
· Must have exceptional oral and written communications skills.
· Must be bilingual: English and French, written and oral proficiency.
· Must have at least three and preferably five or more years of relevant experience in a media relations or communications role.
· Familiarity with key Canadian journalists and media outlets is an asset.
The Green Party of Canada is an equal-opportunity employer, offering a comprehensive benefits package within a stimulating, professional work environment that advocates for healthy work/life balance.
To apply for the position of Press Secretary, please provide a covering letter, your resume, two samples of relevant writing and references by the deadline. Send all materials as PDF attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all interested persons for their applications. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.