The Green Party is committed to defending your civil liberties. We were the first party to raise the alarm on Bill C-51, and will continue to fight to repeal this dangerous legislation.
Bill C-51 – By the Numbers
- 15 – existing laws will be altered
- 0 – new powers will be given to those responsible for keeping tabs on Canadian spies
- 4 – former Prime Ministers oppose C-51
- 6 – former Supreme Court Justices oppose C-51
- 1st – Elizabeth May was the first MP to oppose Bill C-51, speaking out over two weeks before any other MPs
- 0 – the number of minutes given to the Privacy Commissioner of Canada to provide expert testimony on C-51
- +200,000 - Canadians have signed petitions against C-51
- Over 55% – more than half of Canadians say they oppose Bill C-51
The threat of terrorism is serious. But we believe our society and our existing laws are strong enough to confront this threat – there is no reason to compromise our values.