Every year the party holds internal elections for its governing Federal Council.
Nominations are open for the election until April 14, 2017. See below for details about nominations.
Federal Council is the governing body of the Green Party of Canada. There are 18 voting members consisting of 11 provincial or territorial representatives, 1 President, 2 Vice-Presidents, 1 Fund Representative / Treasurer, 2 Youth representatives and the Leader. Each Councillor is elected for two years. Half of the positions are elected in odd numbered years, while the other half are elected in even years.
Federal Council governs the Green Party of Canada on behalf of members like you. It is essentially the board of the directors for the party, determining planning, vision and budget.View current composition of Council >>
- The deadline for nominations is April 14, 2017.
- The deadline to sign up new members in order for them to be able to vote is May 16, 2017.
- The deadline to renew if you are a lapsed member to be able to vote is May 16, 2017.
- Voting will begin on May 16, 2017 and will be electronic; a paper ballot is available.
- Voting will end on June 16, 2017.
- The results of the election will be announced on this site by July 6, 2017.
Positions up for election
- Vice President French
- Newfoundland and Labrador representative
- New Brunswick representative
- Quebec representative
- Manitoba representative
- Alberta representative
- Territories representative
Young Greens Council Elections
The Young Greens’ Council represents the youth wing of the Green Party of Canada and serves all members under the age of 30. By networking Green campus clubs and working closely with the Green Party Federal Council, the Young Greens help young Canadians become more active and effective within the Green Party of Canada. A typical commitment is 30 hours per month.
Positions up for election on the Young Greens’ Council:
- Co-Chair (two positions)
- Campaigns and External Affairs Chair
- Communications Chair
- Finance Chair
- Policy Chair (new position, conditional on the passing of a constitutional amendment)
Want to be a Young Green?
The deadline for nominations is April 14, 2017, midnight PDT.
- The rules governing this election >>
- Councilor Job Descriptions >>
- Ballot Instructions >>
- Apply for a council position >>
- Apply for a council position with the Young Greens >>