A smart economy is a green economy.
A smart economy skates to where the puck is going. It turns old-industry blue-collar jobs into new-industry green-collar jobs. It focuses on value-added production and generates green products that will be in demand in tomorrow’s markets.
A smart economy is efficient. It relies on non-polluting systems and energy sources. It ends waste. It reuses and recycles. Through closed-loop systems it is massively more efficient. That efficiency will bring greater competitiveness and prosperity to the entire Canadian economy.
A smart economy is not based on hype. It is real people building real things. A smart economy lives within its means. The first step is to get out of this recession without a crippling debt and deficit. The Green Party has a plan to get Canada out of deficit.
- Green jobs. Create thousands of jobs through investment in renewable energy, expanding passenger rail and modernizing freight, retrofitting thousands of buildings to high standards for energy efficiency.
- Smart economic stimulus. Expand access to employment insurance for those who paid into it, while protecting the pensions of retired Canadians. Reduce EI and CPP contributions for businesses.
- Fair global trade. Reform, revise and rethink our trade agreements. Trade is a part of a sustainable future only when it is fair for all.
- Healthy industry. A healthy agriculture sector, with support for those who wish to transition to organic farming. A healthy fishery, with an end to devastating draggers. A sustainable forest industry with more emphasis on value added, and less raw log or unprocessed pulp export. More jobs for more people making real things.
- Cut wasteful subsidies. End the failed strategy of throwing good money after bad in corporate bail-outs for big business, and subsidies to nuclear and fossil fuels.
- Get the prices right. Get the prices right for long-term sustainability. Avoid structural deficits. Implement a revenue-neutral carbon pricing architecture to modernize our economy. Build a “Made in Canada” Green economy.
- Take Action