I can’t thank you enough for your support.
The week of June 11th, I spent 23.5 hours straight in my House of Commons seat, standing up to vote 159 times on the 700+ amendments to the devastating omnibus C-38. Despite what the Harper Conservatives are saying this wasn’t a political stunt and it wasn’t a political game.
I proposed more than 300 amendments to try to stop Prime Minister Harper’s attempt to hide changes to over 70 laws under the guise of an omnibus budget bill.
Yet the Conservative majority refused to accept a single amendment, ignoring the purpose of a parliamentary system and the wishes of Canadians.
Tens of thousands of Canadians joined in the fight to stop Bill C-38: former federal Fisheries Ministers, advocacy groups, scientists, environmentalists, seniors advocates, unions and opposition parties took a stand, signing petitions, making calls, writing letters and attending rallies.
In many ways, your activism rivaled that seen only during elections! Over 37,000 signed our petition, and thousands of likes & shares on Facebook.
Your support helped to spread the word and make sure that people across the country know that the Harper Conservatives are playing fast and loose with democracy. Thank you.
This fight is not over. Now more than ever we must keep up the pressure - please keep writing your MP, sending in letters to the editor, and taking part in all forms of political activism.
Over the course of the summer, I am hoping Canadians living in ridings represented by Conservative MPs will continue to press their MPs to step up and speak out. We need Conservative MPs to start standing up for their constituents.
I hope you will continue to stand up with me to protect our environment and Canadian values to create a better future for our children.
Member of Parliament for Saanich-Gulf Islands
Leader of the Green Party of Canada
Background to C-38
The misnamed Budget Implementation Act, Bill C-38, brings in sweeping changes to Canada's environmental laws. Fully 30% of the 420 page bill is actually not about the budget at all.
Instead, it attacks environmental legislation, repealing the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act and introducing an entirely new approach to environmental assessment. It also re-writes the Fisheries Act, the Species at Risk Act, and the Navigable Waters Protection Act. It also repeals the Kyoto Protocol Implementation Act, and cancels outright the National Round Table on the Environment and the Economy.
This will forever change Canada's natural environment with devastating effects on our future, and that of our children.
Elizabeth May will use her voice on Parliament Hill to stop this legislation. Join our campaign now! Demand Parliament stops the Environment Devastation Act.
- May prepares for Bill C-38 showdown in the House
Bill C-38 Amendments FAQ
National Round Table Members Oppose Bill C-38 Repeal of Advisory Body
May rises on Bill C-38 Point of Order
- MPs Show Support for BlackOutSpeakOut
- May Urges Opposition/Public to Stop Bill C-38
- Assault on Seasonal Industries in C-38
- Jobs, Growth and Long-Term Prosperity Act (Bill C-38)
- Bill C-38: the Environmental Destruction Act
- May Gives Full Support to New Environment Campaign
- May Clarifies Deliberately Confusing Bill C-38
- When a bill is big, complex and nearly unreadable, you can get away with a lot
- You have to be kidding....
- How the Conservatives stole environmental protection in broad daylight
- Budget Implementation Act is Gutting of Environmental Laws in Disguise
In the news
Elizabeth May at centre of fight against Conservative omnibus budget bill National Post, June 9
Kelly McParland: Elizabeth May leads commendable effort to halt Tory omnibus juggernaut National Post, June 11
Elizabeth May: Exposing the Fauxmnibus Bill Huffington Post, June 8
MPs facing hundreds of amendments to budget bill CBC, June 8
Q & A: Elizabeth May Macleans, June 5
May looks to put procedural roadblock in budget bill's path iPolitics, June 4
C-38: The procedural battle Macleans, June 4
May determined to thwart Bill C-38 ‘To allow C-38 to masquerade as a legitimate omnibus bill will bring our institutions into greater disrepute’ Macleans, June 4
Grits, Green to table 200 amendments on feds’ omnibus budget bill, expect 60 hours of House roll call votes Hill Times, June 4
Opposition aims to disrupt passage of omnibus Tory budget bill Globe and Mail, May 28
Liberals team up with Green chief in bid to stall Tory budget bill Globe and Mail, May 28
Harper's real agenda visible in budget bill CBC, May 2
Andrew Coyne: Bill C-38 shows us how far Parliament has fallen National Post, Apr 30
- Take Action
The Top 5 Reasons why C-38 will devastate Canada’s environment
- It repeals the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act and introduces a weaker version, without a single day of hearings before the environment committee.
- It removes protection of endangered species and their habitat, when approving pipeline projects, by amending the Species at Risk Act and the Navigable Waters Protection Act.
- It guts the Fisheries Act by removing provisions for habitat protection.
- It repeals the Kyoto Protocol Implementation Act.
- It eliminates the National Round Table on Environment and Economy.